|Line 113:||Line 113:|
Revision as of 03:37, 1 September 2011
The Kortul Devastator is the Vasari's battleship.
Official Description: Like many ships in the Vasari fleet, the Kortul doubles as both a warship and a home for the remnants of the empire. As the lead assault class vessel, the Kortul has a number of defensive system that grant it impressive survivability in battle, which combined with a full complement of heavy weapons make it a force to be reckoned with. In the days of the Empire, Kortuls formed the backbone of every Wing of the Dark Fleet, and while the Exodus Fleet pales in comparison, the Kortuls perform much the same function with one exception: they no longer carry Variments of shock troopers.
The Kortul is very powerful when it comes to combat. It is in fact the most combat oriented battleship in the game. It is able to beat almost any other capital ship by a landslide. However, it is only able to effectively fight when it has its abilities active such as Power Surge. Without this ability it will fail in most major capital ship battles.
The Kortul Devastator is a blunt instrument, efficiently deploying large quantities of firepower, but not offering any major strategic choices other than a full frontal assault. The Devastator can be effectively compared and contrasted to the Kol Battleship: both ships offer offensive and defensive abilities; both vessels have dedicated anti-fighter abilities; and both vessels have some degree of active shield regeneration. Here the resemblance ends: due to the Devastator's possession of a passive ability, ability choices as the unit levels up become more complicated, but inclusion of a passive ability in the Devastator's arsenal helps compensate for the fact that Power Surge is both an offensive and a defensive ability simultaneously (resulting in a major conflict of interest, as opposed to the Kol Battleship, which has its offensive and defensive abilities neatly compartmentalized): by choosing a passive ability as the Devastator levels up, Vasari players can effectively free up anti-matter to use Power Surge more frequently. A fleet of Kortuls and Skarovas Enforcers may be a very difficult fleet to defend against, and additional strength can be acquired from Skirantra Carriers. Late in game, researching plasma wave, pulse beam, and phase missile upgrades can dramatically increase a Kortul Devastator's firepower. Power Surge itself is an excellent ability, increasing overall damage output on a level that surpasses Gauss Rail Gun (due to the fact that increased attack speed benefits from weapon upgrades).
- Jam Weapons immediately removes a fighter threat for a short period of time; this window of opportunity can be all a Vasari player needs.
- Jam Weapons can be used to buy time in a way that Flak Burst cannot.
- Since Flak Burst's damage is ultimately not enough to destroy a fighter immediately, this ability often either deprives the Kol of anti-matter or forces TEC players to deploy the Kol in pairs. The Kortul Devastator does not suffer from this problem, since it is equally effective alone or in groups.
- Conversely, since Jam Weapons does not destroy its targets, a Vasari fleet unprepared to sweep the disabled fighters from the sky while they are disabled can suffer grievously when these fighters come back on-line, particularly in the post-1.1 environment in which Light Carriers are employed with much greater frequency.
Volatile Nanites allows the Vasari fleet to distribute large quantities of damage amongst an enemy fleet in the late game, particularly when combined with Power Surge, which increases the rate at which damage is spread. When combined with the Jarrasul Evacuator's Gravity Warhead, the Vasari can both keep a retreating fleet in range and simultaneously rip them to pieces. Of course, this is hardly a central strategy, since level 6 capital ships are somewhat difficult to acquire in small games. Nevertheless, the synergy between these two capital ships bears consideration, particularly combined with the acceleration effect of the Antorak Marauder's Distort Gravity ability.
Note: As of patch 1.18 / Entrenchment 1.041 , the Kortul has changed to a "denial" ship.
- Power Surge now regenerates shields in a more steady and respectable manner, by 25 / 35 / 45 points per second for 20 / 25 / 30 seconds and with a constant 10 second delay before the ability can be cast again. This means that a level 1 Power Surge regenerates 500 shield points every 30 seconds, level 2 gives 875 points over 35 seconds and level 3 grants an astonishing 1350 shield points every 40 seconds. So, Power Surge denies the enemy a chance to kill this ship without tremendous firepower.
- Weapon Jam now continuously disables weapons on all strike craft in a decent radius for 20 seconds, with a 30 second cooldown. This means that for 2/3 if the time, enemy strike craft are denied a point of existence in this ship's vicinity. This can be used in a number of ways - from direct fleet protection to more interesting applications. One such unconventional use of Weapon Jam is protecting a cloud of bombers from enemy fighters as they are ripping apart an enemy's starbase. This is particularly effective because bombers are well countered only by fighters (except for Kol/Halcyon's abilities, which can be taken care of with the next Kortul's ability). Flak frigates deal relatively small damage to bombers and will not manage to destroy a large cloud of bombers without fighter support before the starbase takes really heavy damage.
- Disruptive Strikes received a major buff across the board. It fits best in the "denial" role of the ship - it simply denies the enemy a chance to use his abilities. With this ability, Kortul can now defeat any other capital ship, even the Evacuator (with it's powerful Nanites) or Radiance (with its Detonate Antimatter) by simply cleansing their AM pool. It is now much more effective and can reliably keep an even-leveled capital ship on zero antimatter indefinitely if putting points in DS is not completely neglected. When used with Power Surge, DS not only applies much more frequently, but also makes the ship near immortal, making any capital ship fight unfair after just a few dozen seconds, with Kortul chaining Power Surge for unending Shield points and the other ship having no antimatter for its own abilities.
- Volatile Nanites is unchanged, but it can also be interpreted as a denial ability, since tight formations are denied a chance to survive.
|Hull Points:||Very High|
|Armor Level:||Very High|
|Weapons (Fore):||2 x Plasma Wave Cannons / 2 x Pulse Beam Projectors /|
4 x Phase Missile Launchers
|Weapons (Side):||3 x Pulse Beam Projectors (Starboard / Port)|
|Squadrons Supported:||1 - 2|
|Strike Craft:||TEC Fighter • TEC Bomber|
|Corvettes:||Shriken Corvette (Loyalist) • Stilat Corvette (Rebel)|
|Frigates:||Arcova Scout Frigate • Cobalt Light Frigate • Javelis LRM Frigate • Krosov Siege Frigate • Garda Flak Frigate • Protev Colony Frigate|
|Cruisers:||Percheron Light Carrier • Hoshiko Robotics Cruiser • Cielo Command Cruiser • Kodiak Heavy Cruiser • Raloz Heavy Constructor • Ogrov Torpedo Cruiser • Neruda Envoy Cruiser|
|Capital Ships:||Kol Battleship • Sova Carrier • Akkan Battlecruiser • Dunov Battlecruiser • Marza Dreadnought • Corsev Battlecruiser|
|Titans:||Ankylon Titan (Loyalist) • Ragnarov Titan (Rebel)|
|Starbase:||Argonev Star Base|
|Strike Craft:||Advent Fighter • Advent Bomber|
|Corvettes:||Acolyte Corvette (Loyalist) • Vespa Corvette (Rebel)|
|Frigates:||Seeker Vessel • Disciple Vessel • Illuminator Vessel • Purge Vessel • Defense Vessel • Missionary Vessel|
|Cruisers:||Aeria Drone Host • Iconus Guardian • Domina Subjugator • Destra Crusader • Talion Savior • Solanus Adjudicator • Herald Envoy|
|Capital Ships:||Radiance Battleship • Revelation Battlecruiser • Progenitor Mothership • Halcyon Carrier • Rapture Battlecruiser • Discord Battleship|
|Titans:||Coronata Titan (Loyalist) • Eradica Titan (Rebel)|
|Starbase:||Transcencia Star Base|
|Strike Craft:||Vasari Fighter • Vasari Bomber|
|Corvettes:||Tosurak Corvette (Loyalist) • Sulsurak Corvette (Rebel)|
|Frigates:||Jikara Navigator • Ravastra Skirmisher • Kanrak Assailant • Karrastra Destructor • Junsurak Sentinel • Jarun Migrator|
|Cruisers:||Lasurak Transporter • Stilakus Subverter • Serevun Overseer • Skarovas Enforcer • Sivuskras Ruiner • Voruntak Envoy|
|Capital Ships:||Kortul Devastator • Skirantra Carrier • Jarrasul Evacuator • Antorak Marauder • Vulkoras Desolator • Rankulas Battleship|
|Titans:||Vorastra Titan (Loyalist) • Kultorask Titan (Rebel)|
|Starbase:||Orkulus Star Base|